immigration lawyers in El Paso, Texas | Villalobos & Moore

Immigration attorney in El paso, Texas.

Are you a victim of criminal acts? The U Visa may be for you.

If you have been a victim of certain criminal acts while in the United States, you may be eligible for a U visa. The U visa is a nonimmigrant visa that provides protection and benefits to victims of crimes and allows them to stay and work legally in the country. In this article, we will explore the U visa program, its requirements, and how it can benefit you as a victim. For expert guidance and assistance throughout the U visa application process, consult the best immigration attorney in El Paso, Texas.

What is the U Visa?

The U visa is designed to protect and assist victims of crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are willing to help law enforcement investigate and prosecute the crimes. It offers temporary legal status and a pathway to obtain a green card for eligible individuals. Immigration attorney in El Paso, Texas.

Eligibility Criteria for the U Visa

To be eligible for a U visa, you must meet certain requirements, including:

  1. You must have been a victim of a qualifying criminal activity, such as domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, or other serious crimes.
  2. You must have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of the crime.
  3. You must have information about the crime and be willing to cooperate with law enforcement authorities in the investigation or prosecution of the crime.
  4. You must be admissible to the United States or qualify for a waiver of any inadmissibility grounds.

Benefits of the U Visa

Obtaining a U visa can provide several benefits, including:

  1. Protection from deportation: Once granted a U visa, you are protected from removal proceedings.
  2. Work authorization: U visa recipients are eligible to apply for employment authorization and legally work in the United States.
  3. Derivative benefits: Certain family members may also be eligible to obtain derivative U visas.
  4. Pathway to a green card: After meeting certain requirements, U visa holders can apply for lawful permanent residence (green card) in the United States.

How to Apply for a U Visa

The process of applying for a U visa involves several steps, including:

  1. Filing Form I-918: Submitting the U visa application, along with supporting documents, to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  2. Obtaining a law enforcement certification: You must obtain a certification from a law enforcement agency confirming your helpfulness in the investigation or prosecution of the crime.
  3. Waiting for approval: After filing the application, you will need to wait for USCIS to review and adjudicate your case.
  4. Applying for a work permit: If your U visa application is approved, you can apply for a work permit (Form I-765) to legally work in the United States.

If you have been a victim of criminal acts in the United States, the U visa may provide you with protection, legal status, and the opportunity to rebuild your life. Consulting the best immigration attorney in El Paso, Texas, is crucial to ensure you navigate the U visa application process successfully. Their expertise and guidance can help you present a strong case and maximize your chances of obtaining a U visa.