Immigration attorney in El paso, Texas.

What no one told you that you should consider after getting your work permit in the USA.

If you already have a valid work VISA, for example, an H-1 or L-1 visa, you can continue working in the U.S. while your residency application is pending. Otherwise, you will need to obtain a work permit (officially called an “Employment Authorization Document” or EAD) before beginning an employment relationship in the U.S., ask for help from Immigration attorney in El Paso, Texas.

For U.S. citizen couples, the work permit application is submitted as part of the initial residency application package. Spouses of green card holders, however, must wait until they are eligible to file their green card application before applying for a work permit.

If your work permit will arrive in approximately five months or up to seven months in some cases, after the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) receives the work permit application. Please note that you will not be able to file an application for a work permit until you have filed an application for residency (Form I-485). Ask for help from Immigration attorney in El Paso, Texas.

Green card holders must wait for a visa number before filing the I-485 form. Spouses of U.S. citizens do not have to wait for a visa number, they can file the work permit application with the initial application packet containing the I-485 form.

Residency normally takes 10 to 13 months, or more than 3 years if you are married to a resident. Once you have your residency, you will be authorized to work for any U.S. employer.

Can my U.S. spouse file a work permit application on my behalf? No. A spouse may not file a work permit application on behalf of his or her partner. This is a personal process. Ask for help from an Immigration attorney in El Paso, Texas.

Remember that there is no cost to obtain a work permit, whether the application is filed before or after the filing of the marriage residency form (form I-485).

If you want a personalized advice, contact us at Villalobos&Moore, Immigration attorney in El Paso, Texas.